The town of Greenback is relatively young compared to significant historical sites in the immediate area. The area along the Little Tennessee River was a major center for Native American cultures long before European settlers entered the region.
Nearby Fort Loudoun, the first British fort west of the Appalachians was built in 1756 near the towns of the Overhill Cherokee as an outpost in the French and Indian War. Later, in 1794, the Tellico Blockhouse was constructed by the US Government across the river from the Cherokee lands to help keep peace between the Indians and the influx of white settlers. Portsville, one of the earliest incorporated towns in Tennessee, was created a few miles downstream in 1813. The town was renamed Morganton soon after and grew into the major river shipping port in the area. During the Civil War, Morganton was the scene of Sherman’s crossing of the Little Tennessee in December, 1863, on his way to relieve the siege of Knoxville. More about the history of the Greenback area can be found by visiting www.gbhistorical.webs.com.