The way to a visitor’s heart is through their stomach…and with all of the unique foodie “must try’s” in Loudon County, Tennessee, you will fall in love with us! Foodies aren’t just folks who like to eat; they know great food when they taste it, like to get to know chefs, love to learn about different cooking styles, and they like to find incredible cuisine at local spots, then tell everyone about them.
In Loudon County, we are blessed with a smorgasbord of delicious food and great dining experiences. And, as is the southern way, we want you to know all about them and then come and join us so you can try them out. That’s why we’ve put together the Top 10 Places Foodies Must Visit in the Lakeway to the Smokies, which follows.
- Greenback Drug Company & Diner – Everything, and we mean everything, on the menu here is yummy. However, the main attraction is their famous Grilled Honey Bun, which we feel sure deserves some recognition on the Food Network. They take a large size honey bun, smother both sides in butter, put it on the flattop griddle, and drop a metal lid over it to steam it. Once it’s done, they add a large scoop of vanilla ice cream and top it with chocolate syrup. Trust us; it’s going to be love at first bite!
- Calhoun’s – Featuring a relaxing dockside atmosphere, Calhoun’s is right on the water’s edge and overlooks one of Tennessee’s largest marinas just above Fort Loudoun Dam. You’ll never leave hungry as they serve up incredible views, along with Tennessee BBQ, fresh-ground hamburgers, sandwiches, ribs, craft beer, and much more!
- The Burgers – Get ready to try some of the most delectable offerings around from one of our newest restaurants. Their hand-patted burgers are seasoned to perfection using choice ground beef, and the chicken sandwiches are made from fresh, succulent chicken breast, marinated at least 48 hours, and grilled to perfection or lightly fried, Charleston-style. They also have ribs, hot dogs, tasty fries and onion rings, and plenty more to delight your taste buds!
- Country Kinfolk – If you’re looking for savory southern cooking and hospitality, family-owned and operated Country Kinfolk will be right up your alley. There’s homemade meatloaf, spaghetti, roast beef, chicken, and dumplings, just to name a few. And you can’t go wrong with any of them. There’s also a marketplace that offers custom furniture, antiques, primitives, and lots more!
- Ugly Mug -This Memphis-based coffee company serves up cups of ethically-sourced, Tennessee-roasted coffees – hot and The menu includes birthday cake frappes (how can that not be amazing?), warm breakfast sandwiches, and the most Instagram-able lattes on the Tennessee River.Tellico Village Yacht Club – Offering spectacular lake and mountain views, Tellico Village Yacht Club features the Blue Heron, where you will find a varied menu that includes slow roasted prime rib, beer battered cod, shrimp and grits, and fantastic burgers. No matter what you order, it’s all palate-pleasing and definitely worthy of a visit.
- Tommy’s Grill on Grove – The problem here is deciding which delicious, home-cooked food to try first. The burgers are fantastic, but so is the country fried steak and gravy, catfish, fried chicken and gravy, meatloaf, roast beef, and we could go on and on because it’s all incredible!
- Tic Toc Ice Cream Parlor – As hometown traditions go, this one has to be the sweetest! Located in historic downtown Loudon, Tic Toc has been named among the top 10 ice cream parlors in Tennessee. Featuring 30 homemade flavors, the menu includes tasty cones, milkshakes, floats, sundaes, ice cream sodas, and banana splits.
- Sons of Smoke – We have quite an affinity for barbeque in Tennessee, and Sons of Smoke has plenty of great-tasting pulled pork, ribs, nachos, brisket, chicken, and much more! The smoked bologna sandwich is a local favorite we love, and feel sure you will too! Don’t forget to try to the piggy potatoes and nachos!
- Carmichael Inn – If you’re looking for a great ambiance and the finest in Southern Comfort food, the Carmichael Inn, located in one of the region’s oldest homes, is a must! Menu favorites include shrimp and grits, fried catfish, grandma’s meatloaf, the best steaks around, and plenty of other delicious offerings!
Regardless of the type of food you’re interested in, we know you’ll find plenty to love in Loudon County – and you will never leave hungry!